Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A positive suggestion about tenure denial--not much, but better than nothing

Sorry, I had forgotten to post this. It came up in an email exchange....

There is not much that can be done to help the tenure system; it is what it is, but from my point of view, I would have appreciated some access to confidential, free, *independent* counseling.  I have toyed with sending something to my most recent school's HR officer and suggesting that.  The key is that it has to be set up so as to be clearly completely independent from the institution, free, and (very important) untraceable, so the candidates family etc. do not have to find out.  It's pretty hard to arrange such a service--I know of no institution which does--but it might have helped me if I had that opportunity to at least unload my troubles with a neutral observer. 

The biggest problem about it (being denied) ultimately, and this is why I started the blog, is that if you plan to get on with your life you learn that you have to stop talking about it, you have to do all you can to hide the whole event, or at least obscure it to the casual outside observer.  It could have helped me (a little) if I had had access to clearly independent counseling.   It's not much, I know, but better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment